Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Holiday Greetings and Stuff

Merry Christmas to everyone! I hope you guys are all having fantastic holidays! I didn't spend as much time this Christmas as I did in the previous years but I had a blast nevertheless.

Now let's see... Here are the treats that I got.

1. The Talisman Artworks I did got posted on the FFG Website!

It's on this link that my AD sent to me: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3822

Here are my two paintings that got included in the post. I've included the progress shots as well.


2. My ever so lovely girlfriend gave me a Nerf Sharp Shot. I modded it!

There's a Nerf craze going on at the office right now. So instead of a copy of The Witcher (which isn't even on the shelves of Datablitz anymore), Dee got me Nerf instead. I didn't take a picture of it before modding but this is what it used to look like:

taken from the Nerf Wiki

In my opinion, it kinda looks cool for a toy gun. I heard it shoots rather far too. But the thing is, there are several Sharp Shots in the office already so I thought about making mine somewhat different. Instead of putting just a simple marking on it, I decided to do a full paint mod! I know. Pics or it didn't happen so here you go. 



The toughest part of the modding process was taking the blaster apart. I thought it would be very easy after all the Sharp Shot modding videos and pictures I've seen around. Unfortunately for me, the blaster that I got has some of its parts glued together! I don't know if it's been like that ever since or if it's the new standard for the blue trigger variant of this blaster. It looked like a counter-measure against internal modding because it made removing the air restrictor very difficult. I had to break the glue without breaking the plastic. For someone like me who's a total noob when it comes to scale modeling, that was kind of nerve-wracking. Fortunately, I was able to do it. So I used Tamiya spray cans to primer the pieces. I used semi-gloss black as a base for all of them. Then I sprayed a layer of dark yellow for the accent parts.

It kinda looked OK with plain colors but I wanted to push it further so decided to go Star Wars on it. I dry-brushed the black parts with gun metal to make it look like worn-out steel. Then I hand-painted the accent parts with deck tan to get that worn-out battle droid armor texture. The next thing I did was the addition of details that resembled chipped of paint. Again, I used gun metal for that.

The final touch was the addition of rust which I did by brushing my blaster with sepia and sanguine dust.





I coated all pieces with Mr. Hobby top coat before the reassembly. It still fires! Whew! And it's looking really bad ass now! I can't wait to have Dee try it! :)